Canvas Lite is now available! If you have course content in Free-for-Teacher, now's the time to export it. Access closes for good at 11:59 p.m. MT on October 6. Learn more.
Students and faculty are unable to subscribe to a discussion, even though they have updated their notification settings and they are not required to post first.
The option to subscribe is "greyed" out.
Thank you @KimberlyStockin for including that screenshot. I was able to replicate your problem with some specific steps:
When these three things were true, a student user is unable to subscribe to the discussion. An instructor user still can, however.
I realize the first item in my list is contrary to what you reported, but when I changed the discussion so post first was turned off (and left the until date in the past), the student user could subscribe. I even tried changing the course dates so it ended prior to today and concluding the course. In all attempts, the discussions are still subscribable. Finally, I turned off notifications for the course but the subscribe button was no longer grey.
I can think of two options now. One is whether there are user permissions and course settings that are not the same between the instance of Canvas I'm using and yours, and there are lots of options. The other is to contact the Canvas help desk via the Help menu in your Canvas instance. That will get it to the tech support team. It would be great if their vigilance extended to the Canvas Question Forum, alas it does not.
I'm going to mark this reply as a solution. I realize it does not solve your problem, but our colleagues who have a similar critique will also find the best way to pass on the feedback.
In SpeedGrader's DocViewer, I want the comment cards in the right-hand sidebar to appear in a specific order. How can I control that order? For example, I have a free-draw annotation spanning two paragraphs, and its card appears below a highlight comment that starts at the top of those paragraphs, but I want it directly…
As it is now, assignments that are dropped show to the students as a slightly lighter font color. However, if students do not complete an assignment that is then dropped, the font color doesn't change at all and it shows as "missing" in red. Why not just change all dropped assignments to "Dropped" instead of "missing"?…
Our H5P LTI assignment scores are not returning to the gradebook 9 times out of 10. It's been going on since 15 September, and we are not aware of any event or change at that time that might have caused the issue. The H5P reports confirm students have completed the assignments, therefore ruling out user error. Is anyone…
Our institution is setting up 9 institutional outcomes in Canvas. Several of our outcomes have multiple skill sets within the rubric. For example: Critical Reading – Skill Set A Critical Reading – Skill Set B Critical Reading – Skill Set C Our understanding is that Canvas Outcomes data reports can provide the overall/total…
I am just curiousas to why there is not a field to enter a description for an outcome at the account level? Or at least edit the rating when you attach/link an account level outcome to a rubric. When you create a new criterion for a rubric, you enter a decription for a rating, but for an account level outcome.