A student's Similarity Score for plagiarism is 52.73%. It suggests two source options: www.thinkswap.com and www.coursehero.com. However, when I click on Compare, I get the following for both: 'The source you are trying to view has been updated and does not contain matches with your text.'
I notice that the actual link is www.thinkswap.com/plag-scan/au/hsc/english... and that is the only part of the URL I can read - the rest is obscured. I've attached an image of this.
What does this mean, and what can I do?
Thanks!
Hi @MelindaJollie,
I think you may get a lot of varying opinions on this question, as it somewhat may depend on someone's own personal views and/or your school/institutions's views and policies around academic integrity. In my mind, this would at least warrant a conversation with the student who submitted the paper. See what they have to say about the results and go from there. Maybe they will admit to copying some text... Maybe they submitted the work elsewhere in the past...
On the technical side, I can speak form experience with Turnitin and Vericite (now Turniitin again). The databases are made up partially of scnas of things publicly available on the web. The fact that the system you're using indicates a match means that the text at some point was available on the public web. As websites can add/move/delete things on a daily basis, yo may not always be able to find the resource in the plagiarism detection database in the future. It definitely makes things harder to prove, but I think that's something we have to live with. it's not really feasible for these services to rescan the entire web every day, modify their databases, adjust scores, etc. It's more of that "moment in time" snapshot you have to content with.
I hope this helps a bit.
-Chris
Have you tried searching for the text on Google? That's another way of finding the original source material.
Our institution is currently experiencing an issue for students when trying to access assignments or quizzes through an external tool such as Norton Tools or eLab. The "load in a new window" button fails to execute any commands. When masquerading as the student the issue is duplicated but as a teacher the button…
I am just curiousas to why there is not a field to enter a description for an outcome at the account level? Or at least edit the rating when you attach/link an account level outcome to a rubric. When you create a new criterion for a rubric, you enter a decription for a rating, but for an account level outcome.
We use a pre- post- model to measure learning which requires student-question matching from two time periods. This requires exporting quiz data to CSV to do the analysis properly. (I can get into more detail if needed.) The New Quizzes Student Analysis CSV export has repeated blocks of ItemID then columns related to that…
Hello! A caution to my fellow Admins and support folks that Instructure updated their live-chat link (the one in the "(?) Help" menu, if you license their Support Chat service) fairly recently, but the old broken one is still online and appears as if it still functions. If someone hits the old link, after entering their…
I have been asked to discover whether Canvas Catalog can accept eCheck payments. My thought is that since Catalog is configured to redirect to a payment form at our Payment Gateway, that this might be more a question of configuring an additional option into the Catalog and payment gateway settings. Has anyone done this?