Canvas Lite is now available! If you have course content in Free-for-Teacher, now's the time to export it. Access closes for good at 11:59 p.m. MT on October 6. Learn more.
I'm currently trying to import my old FfT courses into Lite, and seem to be hitting a roadblock with integrating the Google Assignments LTI. Does this fall under needing an API and therefore a full Canvas license?
Hey there @SchulteSci !
Unfortunately, the Google Assignments LTI is only available for teachers to use whenever it is configured at the account-level (admin level), as it requires an administrator to set up the tool using a developer key. The old FFT instance did have google assignments enabled (pretty sure it was on the K12 version), however Canvas Lite does not have this LTI configured. That said, I don't believe you'll be able to use this LTI given it requires admin setup and isn't a course level configuration.
I know this isn't the news you wanted to hear, however I hope this helps you out a bit.
Best, Noah
Is there an avenue to request that it gets enabled, or is not enabling any LTIs also part of the new model? (I'm operating on the assumption that API and LTIs are different things).
Thanks for your help!
APIs and LTIs are different, yep. If you are interested in requesting that the Google Assignments LTI gets enabled, feel free to check out the collaborative roadmap! There, you can submit a contribution requesting that this tool gets implemented in a future release. Here is the link to help you find it: https://community.instructure.com/en/categories/canvas-collaborative-roadmap
I hope that helps, too! Noah
Can you help clarify this cause I was under the impression from their Canvas Lite announcement post that students would be able to link their Google Docs to submit assignments just like in FFTs. I teach English, so this was a core feature I used in the FFT system, but your response sounds like that is not going to be available anymore?
Hi @KarianaBeyer81534168 ,
The former free for teacher Canvas environment had a google drive LTI that was configured at the admin (account) level and was provided by default in all Canvas courses. However, the new Canvas Lite instance does not have that tool configured, and the new Google Assignments LTI 1.3 requires setup with a developer key that is only configurable at the admin level, not the course level.
I am not too sure about the announcement and being able to use Google Drive, because the old LTI that was configured at the course level was phased out a little while ago (over a year or two ago), and now uses LTI 1.3 only.
In the meantime, you can still have your students submit the link to their Google Docs under a standard assignment text entry submission, I think for now that's the only way you can go about it that I can think of.
I hope that helps a bit.
Ok, so I can't make an assignment in Google Doc and then add it as a template that when students click, it creates their own doc copy like FFTs could? I'm really struggling to understand how Canvas Lite is better than Google Classroom right now with all these new restrictions.
Hello, I can not access my Free-For-Teachers page or export courses. Can anyone help please?
I'm not sure what this error message means to best decide how to address it. Searching gave no other examples of this issue. Can anyone explain?
To the Canvas Lite Team, I am writing to express my serious concern regarding the maximum course participant limit in the new Canvas Lite, particularly the restriction that appears to allow only 50 users to join a single course. I am an Assistant Lecturer at the University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM), Tanzania, teaching Civil…
I imported quizes from a paid Canvas account to my Free Canvas for Teachers account. When I try to edit the quiz in the imported course, it says the questions are in groups. It shows on the quiz page there are 25 questions, but when I edit and open to Questions it shows groups with NO questions in them. How do I get the…
Has anyone noticed that the feedback sidebar window has gone to larger spacing? Does anyone know if there is a way to change it back? Not a major deal just a bit annoying is all. Thanks.